Using spacers or line breaks for scene changes

…on fanfiction.net!

This page is created as a visual aid to assist writers in using fanfiction.net’s text editor to its best effect when inserting a spacer/line break to change scenes. If you have no interest in fanfiction, then… *waves hand* this is not the blog post you’re looking for.

Though, you might still find some of this useful for general fiction writing.

What is a scene?

A scene is a smaller slice of a chapter, and a scene change is a mid-chapter break which denotes some sort of shift. This could be a change in narrator/POV, or a change in location, or time. It’s a visual clue to the reader that “things were happening this way, and now they’re happening that way.” Not all chapters need scenes; sometimes a chapter may involve only a single scene which flows well.

Why does fanfiction.net not like spacers/line breaks?

I don’t know why. It didn’t used to be this way. Back in 2008, when I first started using it, I used a line of asterisks to shift my scenes. Then, without warning, asterisks became some sort of faux pas. It screwed up my formatting and required an edit of every story I’d ever written, including one that was 600,000+ words long.

Major ball-ache.

I don’t like the way ff.net wants the writer to use its line breaks, so I make up my own. The easiest is a centralised line of standard characters, like so:

scenes1

This is, to me, the most aesthetically pleasing way of separating scenes. It gives some nice white space to either side of the spacer, and makes it readily apparent that there’s a break of some sort.

Other authors prefer to use different methods, for example:

scenes2

This one is less appealing to me, since it’s more visually jarring, but it’s a very quick and easy way to insert a scene break.

Finally, the way that ff.net wants you to do it is to use the ‘horizontal line’ function on its own editor, which I have conveniently labelled with a big red arrow below:

scenes3

It really does help if you Save your work in the editor, then re-open it, just to be sure it’s saved whatever change/line break you’ve used.

The reason I don’t like the built-in horizontal line so much, is because if you do a quick scan of a page that uses them, it doesn’t have the same “visual break” effect as a small spacer. I.e., it still looks like one big block of text. Not too bad if you’re writing 1k-3k word chapters, but if you’re prone to going larger on your chapters (5k and above) it can appear daunting to a reader. Here’s an example of the less visual ‘blank space’ offered by a horizontal line.

scenes4

Good luck to all ff.net writers out there!

3 Comments on “Using spacers or line breaks for scene changes

  1. I’m also not a fan of how Fanfiction.net changed the rules. I used to use asterisks too! I also don’t like how FF.net is basically a gigantic pool of stories and it’s hard to sift through the good ones from the well, not so good ones, to put it lightly lol.

    Like

    • Ahhh, your comment went into a spam queue that I never remember to check! 😦

      I feel you on the whole ‘wading through the pool’ issue. I’ve tried to be a bit more savvy about finding good work. I can dismiss about 90% of it from the summary descriptions (especially if they contain heinous typos; if a writer isn’t going to proofread their summaries, I’m certainly not going to waste time reading their un-proofread chapters) and by examining the “pairings.” For the other 10% that doesn’t get filtered out by my brain, I check the recent reviews. If someone I trust as a writer is also following/reviewing, it’s an auto-read for me! 🙂

      I really do wish they’d implement some sort of ‘ignore story’ checkbox though, so that things I don’t want to see don’t come up in the updates queue. >.<

      Liked by 1 person

      • Yup, I implement pretty much the same strategies. Still, it would be nice if the website was more efficient -_-. I hear you on the “ignore story” option. Why isn’t there a suggestion box for fanfiction.net? lol!

        P.S. Don’t worry; WordPress’ spambot gets the best of all of us.

        Like

Respond to this Report

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: